Friday, August 20, 2010

Abercrombie & Fitch

It has been a long week here in Columbia, Tennessee. Brittany has worked almost every day and I have not had much to do since the outdoor pool shut down at the Y. School starts for me in another week, thankfully. I'll be occupied with school most of the time, but I will still find time to write and make videos. I wanted to write a bit on something that came up this week.

The other day, Brittany and I were in the Cool Springs Galleria killing time and waiting for my mother to get off work so we could meet her for dinner. We walked into Abercrombie & Fitch to visit with a friend who works there and I noticed a picture on the wall. Abercrombie & Fitch is notorious for its risque advertising with half-nude models; however, this picture was different. The picture featured a male model completely in the nude. Now, when they had the shirtless guy and bikini girl pictures up, I did not see a problem with it because you can go to the beach and see that any day of the week; however, the picture was a back shot and the buttocks was completely exposed. Now, I do not have kids yet, but if I did have kids I would not want to take them into Abercrombie & Fitch where they can see a picture like that. I mean, think about it. Why use a nude model in a clothes store? If you are trying to sell clothes, would you not want to model the clothes that you are selling? Yes, sex-appeal is a very good marketing strategy because it works, but why use that marketing strategy in a store where children shop? If someone were to send a child a picture of himself naked, he would be in a lot of trouble. Why should it be any different in this situation?

-Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment